NYS ITS GIS Program Office
Geographic Information Systems Clearinghouse
Data Sharing Cooperative
The NYS GIS Data Sharing Cooperative is a group of governmental entities and not-for-profit organizations that have executed Data Sharing Agreements for the purpose of improving access to GIS data among members. The Cooperative was established by Technology Policy 97-6 (GIS Data Sharing), which also directed all NYS agencies to join the Cooperative.
The Data Sharing Cooperative was primarily developed to encourage public agencies in New York to share in the creation, use, and maintenance of GIS data sets at the least possible cost. Two key features of the Data Sharing Cooperative are:
- Data creators (primary custodians) retain ownership of their GIS data sets, but agree to share it with other Cooperative members for free or, at most, for the cost of copying it; and
- Users of the GIS data (secondary custodians) pass updates, corrections, and revisions back to the creators of the data set, resulting in improved data quality.
For more details, see NYS GIS Data Sharing Cooperative Models of Collaboration.
All State agencies must participate in the Cooperative. A standard license, called the NYS GIS Cooperative Data Sharing Agreement, was sent to all NYS agencies to sign in September of 1997.
The standard license was adapted for local governments in January, 1998. Local government agencies are not required to join the Cooperative, but they are encouraged to do so. By signing a Data Sharing Agreement for Local Governments, government agencies at the town, village, city, county or regional level may join the Cooperative. Federal government agencies and not-for-profit organizations may also join the Cooperative.
When they sign the Data Sharing Agreement, Cooperative members must designate a GIS contact person and, if they have GIS data sets, submit an inventory of them. Members are also asked to create metadata describing their GIS datasets for inclusion in the NYS GIS Clearinghouse's Metadata Repository. The Clearinghouse will serve as the information gateway for the Cooperative.
See the Participants and GIS Data Inventories for a current list of Cooperative members. For more information about joining the Cooperative or to request a Data Sharing Agreement, contact:
Frank Winters firstname.lastname@example.org
GIS Program Office
50 Wolf Road
Floor 3, Mail Pod 3-3
Albany, NY 12232
For additional information about the NYS GIS Data Sharing Cooperative, see these documents:
- Sample Licensing Agreement for Cooperative Member Consultant Use: A sample licensing agreement that can be modified and used when providing consultants and contractors with data obtained through the Cooperative. The license provides the terms and conditions of the contractor's data usage.
- Guidelines for Secondary Custodian Use of GIS Data Sets for Internet-based Mapping Applications: Guidelines and acknowledgements wording for appropriate Secondary Custodian use of GIS data sets acquired through the Data Sharing Cooperative in Internet-based mapping applications.
- NYS GIS Data Sharing Cooperative: A description of the Cooperative, why and how it was created, and some of the benefits of participation.
- Additional Information on the Cooperative: A supplement to the previous document, providing a more detailed explanation of the issues and considerations that shaped the Data Sharing Cooperation.
- Data Sharing Cooperative - Key Points: The significant features of the Cooperative, summarized in a brief, bulleted list.
- New York State GIS Cooperative FAQS: A list of frequently-asked questions (and answers) about the Cooperative.
- Technology Policy 97-6: GIS Data Sharing: The text of Policy 97-6, which was issued as new State policy by Director of State Operations, on July 17, 1997.