NYS ITS GIS Program Office
Geographic Information Systems Clearinghouse
GIS Data Set Details
|Data Set Name||Description||Theme||Metadata|
|Historical Topographic Map Collection||The goal of The National Maps Historical Topographic Map Collection (HTMC), which started in 2011, is to provide a digital repository for all of the USGS 1:250,000 scale and larger maps printed between 1884, the inception of the topographic mapping program, and 2006. Currently, there are more than 178,000 high-resolution, georeferenced digital map files and accompanying metadata in the HTMC.||
- US Topo maps are available in GeoPDF® format for free download from The National Map or the USGS Map Store.
- The topoView web map application shows the many and varied older maps available for each area. Additional file formats (GeoTIFF, JPEG and KML) are available for download.
- Training videos are available for accessing the USGS Historical Maps (Lesson 4c and Lesson 9b), and using the USGS Historical Maps on mobile devices (Lesson 6a).
- Several documents describe the map symbols used in historical maps.
- USGS National Mapping Program Topographic Map Symbols (first and second printed versions).
- USGS National Mapping Technical Instructions: Part 6 Publication Symbols, Standards for 1:24,000- and 1:25,000-Scale Quadrangle Maps
- Additional historical map symbology information can be found in USGS FAQs
John G. Van Hoesen
425 Jordan Road
Troy, New York 12180