New York State Office of Cyber Security
Geographic Information Systems Clearinghouse
GIS Software and Tools
- Corpsmet95 - Public domain software for metadata creation.
- ArcExplorer - ESRI's free "lightweight GIS data explorer," which allows users to display and query (but not create) GIS data sources.
- AccuGlobe 2007 - AccuGlobe® Desktop 2007, is a standardized desktop GIS application for delivering solutions to the global GIS community. AccuGlobe Desktop 2007 is available as a free download for the global GIS community.
- Christine GIS - Christine is a useful, easy-to-use tool that brings geographic information to your desktop. Christine gives you the power to visualize, explore, query and analyze data spatially. A key feature of Christine is that it's easy to load tabular data, such as dBASE® files and data from database servers. Using Christine you can display, query, summarize, and organize this data geographically.
- Corpscon (Version 5.11.03) - a free program developed by the Army Corps of Engineers, Corpscon is an MS-Windows-based program that allows users to convert coordinates between Geographic, State Plane and Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) systems on the North American Datum of 1927 (NAD 27), the North American Datum of 1983 (NAD 83) and High Accuracy Reference Networks (HARNs).
- Crimestat - A free program developed by the Crime Mapping Research Center at the National Institute of Justice, CrimeStat is a spatial statistics program for the analysis of crime incident locations. It is Windows-based and interfaces with most desktop GIS programs. CrimeStat inputs incident locations in dBase© 'dbf', 'shp' or Ascii format, using either spherical or projected coordinates. It can calculate various spatial statistics and can write graphical objects to ArcView®, MapInfo®, Atlas*GIS, Surfer® for Windows, and ArcView Spatial Analyst©.
- ER Viewer - From ER Mapper, a free "easy to use image viewer featuring interactive roaming and zooming of very large image files." ER Viewer supports a wide range of image formats and is OLE-enabled, for viewing images inside Windows applications. Select the ECW Downloads from the Downloads link.
- ERDAS Viewfinder - ERDAS ViewFinder is a free viewing tool with basic image viewing and manipulation capabilities available from the "Free Software Downloads" section.
- GDSK GEOPLATFORM - GDSK GEOPLATFORM a platform designed for establishing enterprise GIS communities at the web. It includes portal services, catalog, vector geometry edition, OGC/ISO support, shared information and multimedia objects. GDSK GEOPLATFORM contributes substantially to the success in GIS projects at institutions and corporations, simplifies the access to GIS technologies and offers the lowest TCO in the market for this type of infrastructure. GDSK GEOPLATFORM is free for education and research organizations through the GDSK GISERS Program.
- Geomatica Freeview - PCI Geomatica offers Geomatica, a free viewing environment for imagery and graphical bitmaps.
- Irfran View - very fast FREEWARE 32-Bit graphic viewer for Windoze 9x/ME, WinNT, Win2000 and Windows XP. View numerous types of files including .SID, .TIFF and .JPG. Easy to install. You will need to install the Irfran View plugins also.
- LandView III - A free Windows-based desktop mapping system that consists of two components, the LandView database and the MARPLOT mapping system. The database contains information about EPA-regulated sites, plus demographic data and street-level maps from the Bureau of the Census.
- MapInfo ProViewer - This free viewer allows users to display tables and workspaces created with MapInfo. An add-on support is available to use with LizardTech MrSid format images.
- MapWindow GIS - MapWindow is an open source "Programmable Geographic Information System" that supports manipulation, analysis, and viewing of geospatial data and associated attribute data in several standard GIS data formats. MapWindow is a mapping tool, a GIS modeling system, and a GIS application programming interface (API) all in one convenient redistributable open source form.
- MrSid GeoViewer - A free application form LizardTech that allows users to view imagery in MrSid format.
- Quantum GIS - Quantum GIS is an Open Source (i.e. free of cost) Geographic Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX and Windows. QGIS supports raster, vector, and database formats.
- TNTatlas is a free Geodata viewing tool for Mac OS X 10.3x or 10.4x and Windows XP/2000/2003. Geodata files currently supported include shapefiles, DWG, DGN, DXF, JPEG, JP2, TIFF, GeoTIFF, PNG, ECW, and MrSID formats. TNTatlas also has features for querying, measurement, printing, sketching of the displayed geodata. You can even plug a GPS unit and track yourself realtime, or get a profile from your 3D elevation raster using TNTatlas.
- Shape Viewer - Shape Viewer® is a free tool, which you can use to view ESRI® Shape files. Shape Viewer® can open (.shp) files that contain the geometry information of the shape file. With Shape Viewer® you can also create new (.shx) file, and new empty (.dbf) file for your shape file.
Compression Software (Note: These versions of GNU's GZIP and PKZIP were copied from various sources and are offered without support.)
- GZIP - Unix freeware
- There are free zippers and unzippers for many platforms, including Macintosh, available from the Info-Zip.
- DAP - Download Accelerator Plus - This free download utility fully integrates into your browser and may speed your download up to 300% Faster. It is very easy to use.
- Net Vampire - A free download manager that can be used to schedule HTTP and FTP files for immediate or delayed download.
- Tucows is a listing of download managers.