New York State Office of Cyber Security
Geographic Information Systems Clearinghouse
Electronic Discussion Lists
- GIS List (GISNY-L) The New York State GIS List (GISNY-L) is an open, unmoderated list developed to promote discussion of GIS-related subjects, particularly GIS issues or projects in New York. The list accepts most of the standard distribution list commands.
NORTHEAST REGIONAL LISTS
*Please note that the list does not allow you to subscribe a particular e-mail address; it will automatically use the one from which your subscription message was sent. Therefore, you need to subscribe from your e-mail system, rather than over the Web. And if you use more than one e-mail account, be sure to subscribe from the same one that you want to receive the list messages.
All commands sent to the listserv must be sent as plain text, not as html. Please set the format option in your email program to plain text.
To subscribe, send an e-mail message to:
In the body of the message type the following message, where <Full Name> is the subscriber's name: subscribe gisny-l <Full Name>
To "post" to the list send e-mail to:
To "unsubscribe" to the GISNY List Serve, you may type the following in the body of the message:
(Make sure there is no other text in the body of the message but the text indicated above. Send your e-mail to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NYSED.GOV)
Please do not post unrelated subject matter to the list. GISNY-L is maintained by the New York State Library; if you have questions about this list please contact us.
To "browse the online archives" for the GISNY mailing list: http://listserv.nysed.gov/archives/gisny-l.html
- VGIS List Serve (VGIS-L) The Vermont Center for Geographic Information maintains a list called VGIS-L, which focuses on GIS activities within the State of Vermont. Visit their site for subscription instructions.
- GISTalk List Serve (GISTalk-L) GISTalk™ forum will keep you up-to-date with the latest tips and tricks. Post your questions and share your unique experiences with a global audience of thousands of professionals. Visit their site for subscription instructions.
- Northeast Arc Users Group (NEARC) The purpose of the list is to facilitate communication among NEARC members. The list can be used for meetings, seminars and conferences, raising quiestions about data availability, finding GIS applications, etc. Visit their site for subscription instructions.
- ArcGIS ArcGIS list devoted to ArcGIS-related questions, answers and information. To join, send mail to Majordomo@lists.directionsmag.com with the following command in the body of your email message: subscribe arcgis (ArcGIS is mirrored at Directions Magazine, http://lists.directionsmag.com/discussion)
- GIS-L URISA is pleased to present GIS-L, an on-line discussion list dedicated to providing information for individuals concerned with the effective use of information systems by local, regional, and state governments. Visit their site for subscription instructions.
- GISLIST Broad discussion of GIS and geospatial technology news, data and software issues, founded and maintained by The GeoCommunity. Visit their site for subscription instructions.
- GIS-T List GIS-T is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The list will provide an open forum for discussion of Geographic Information System issues in transportation for a wide audience of users. Possible topics of interest to this community include, but are not limited to: research, training, linear referencing systems, base map development, state DOT concerns, resources, and conferences. Visit their site for subscription instructions. The discussion can also be viewed at the web site for the U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics: http://www.bts.gov/gis/
- MapInfo List Unmoderated discussion of MapInfo related topics, founded by Bill Thoen. The list is mirrored at Directions Magazine, http://lists.directionsmag.com/discussion/list.php?f=7
For help and a description of available commands, send a message to:
To subscribe to the list, send a message to:
To remove your address from the list, just send a message to the address in the "List-Unsubscribe'' header of any list message. If you haven't changed addresses since subscribing, you can also send a message to:
- NSGIC List The National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC) is an organization of States committed to efficient and effective government through the prudent adoption of information technology. Members of NSGIC include delegations of senior state geographic information system managers from across the United States. Other members include representatives from federal agencies, local government, the private sector, academia and other professional organizations. A rich and diverse group, the NSGIC membership includes nationally and internationally recognized experts in geographic information systems (GIS), and data and information technology policy. NSGIC sponsors an electronic discussion list, NSGIC-L. Visit their site for subscription instructions.