New York State Office of Cyber Security
Geographic Information Systems Clearinghouse
Training and Education
|On this page:||Related pages:|
NYS GIS Help Desk
This web-based help desk is intended to provide support for both general GIS questions and specific questions regarding the technical use of the following GIS software products:
ArcGIS Desktop: ArcEditor
ArcGIS Desktop: ArcInfo
ArcGIS Desktop: ArcView
ArcView GIS 3.x
Visitors can search the online Knowledge Base to view previously submitted questions and answers or view the Help Desk's most Frequently Asked Questions. Members of the NYS Data Sharing Cooperative may Submit GIS technical questions which will be answered within one (1) business day. All questions and answers will also be included in the searchable knowledge base.
GIS Training Workshops
- Introduction to GIS Web Services
"From December 2007 through March 2008, a free 3-hour workshop was offered in nine locations across New York State with more than 450 individuals from State and local government attending. Training materials can be viewed on-line, or you can download a copy of the Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation that was used during the workshop."
- Introduction to Remote
Sensing for GIS Practitioners
"From December 2006 through March 2007, a free 3-hour workshop was offered in various locations around the State with individuals from State and local government attending. Training materials can be viewed on-line, or you can download a copy of the Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation that was used during the class."
- "Preparing for an Uncertain
Future" A Workshop on
the Use of GIS for Homeland Security and Emergency Response
The following is an outline of the exercise used and a report on the results obtained from a facilitated audience participation session on the use of GIS for Homeland Security and Emergency Response. It was held at the 20 th Annual New York State GIS Conference on October 19, 2004. The session was designed as a "war gaming" exercise with close interaction on each issue from the audience and appropriate commentary from the expert panel when required. (11/2004)
of GIS and GPS Technologies
From November 2005 through March 2006, a free 3-hour workshop was offered in eight locations around the State with more than 1000 individuals from State and local government attending. Training materials can be viewed on-line, or you can download a copy of the Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation that was used during the class.
Introduction to Digital Orthoimagery Training
From November 2000 through October 2001, a free "Introduction to Digital Orthoimagery" training class was held. The one-day class was offered in nine locations around the State with more than 700 individuals from State and local government attending. Training materials can be viewed on-line, or you can download a copy of the Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation that was used during the class. These materials are being provided on-line for useful reference working with digital orthoimagery.
Geocoding & Data Improvement workshop
From November 2004 through March 2005, a free 3-hour workshop was offered in eight locations around the State with more than 700 individuals from State and local government attending. Training materials can be viewed on-line, or you can download a copy of the Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation that was used during the class.
States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC)
The NSGIC is an organization committeed to efficient and effective government through the prudent adoption of geospatial information technologies.
This relatively new event, co-sponsored by the NYS GIS Association and the NYS Office of Cyber Security & Critical Infrastructure Coordination, is targeted for GIS professionals who want to look beyond the technical issues and hear what's really shaping GIS in NYS and around the country.
The conference has a long standing tradition of providing attendees with an opportunity to meet fellow New Yorkers active in the GIS field, exchange information and real experiences, and seek solutions to your geographic data management needs. Professional networking opportunities help you develop a network of fellow GIS users which will continue through the years. In the exhibit area, GIS vendors and consultants display the latest in GIS hardware, software, analytical techniques, and services.
Education and Training
- Colleges and Universities
Bergen Community College in Bergen County, NJ is offering a One-Year Certificate program in GIS starting this fall. Intro to GIS is a 3 credit course with lecture and lab that covers the basics of GIS theory and practice. Course # is TEC190. Contact Mark Becker, 914-365-8980.
Buffalo State University - Geography and Planning Department
Cayuga County Community College in partnership with the NASA sponsored Institute for Application of Geospatial Technology, offers an Associates Degree in Geographic Information Systems at the Auburn Campus. Contact Abu Badruddin for more information, 315-255-1743.
Columbia University GIS Program This program jointly sponsored by CIESIN and the Columbia University Continuing Education department offers a range of introductory and advanced training in GIS software, theory and applications. Classes generally run one night per week over a period of 4 to 6 weeks. Contact Mark Becker at 845-365-8980.
Cornell lists GIS related courses under the main categories of Soils, Crops and Atmospheric Sciences; Environmental Information and Analysis; Urban and Regional Studies; and Civil and Environmental Engineering-Remote Sensing.
CUNY Hunter College - Geography Department
Erie Community College
ECC will be creating a Certificate Program in GIS, offering a full range of GIS skills, concepts, techniques and applications. The two courses initially being offered will become the foundation for the the certificate program. For more information about the course offerings in GIS, the GIS certificate program, and other GIS items, check out the ECC website at: http://north.ecc.edu/gis/
Fulton-Montgomery Community College
Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Johnstown, NY. The NASA-sponsored Spatial Information Technology Center at Fulton-Montgomery Community College offers a one-year college certificate and two-year degree in the disciplines of GIS, GPS and Remote Sensing. The Center also offers ESRI Instructor led training. For more information, or to arrange a visit, contact the center at 518-762-4651 ext. 3482, e-mail email@example.com, or visit www.fmcc.suny.edu.
GIS Certification Institute
Professionals will be able to download application materials and begin preparations for submitting their qualifications for recognition as Certified GIS Professionals and earn the designation, "GISP". www.gisci.org
County Community College
Currently NCCC offers Intro to Geography (GEO 101) and Intro to Remote Sensing (GEO121), Intro to GIS (GEO 111) and a World Environment course (GEO103). In Sept 2008 the college will add Advanced GIS (GEO201) and Applied GIS (GEO 202) so that students will be able to complete a GIS Certificate program. Plans are well underway to offer an AS Degree in 2009 as part of the development of an NSF funded Advanced Technology Education center at NCCC. For more details visit http://www.niagaracc.suny.edu/socsci/geography.html
Onondaga County Community College - Environmental Technology Geosciences degree
The Penn State World Campus Certificate Program in GIS is a non–credit program designed to meet the needs and busy schedules of full–time professionals.
Rutgers University - Office of Continuing Professional Education
Rutgers Office of Continuing Professional Education offers practical geomatics courses that are specifically designed to improve participants’ technical and creative problem solving skills – skills that you can immediately apply on the job and give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace. We offer Introduction to ArcGIS and ArcGIS Editing and Data Development. And each student receives a FREE 1-year student license of ArcEditor Software, allowing you to practice in-between each session and after the conclusion of training!!
The advanced diploma in GIS at Selkirk College is a 12 month program
that utilizes advanced geospatial technology to provide leading-edge
training. The program focuses upon building advanced expertise in GIS,
remote sensing, internet mapping technology, database management applications,
gps, 3D visualization, and a variety of related software applications.
Contact: Donna Delparte, 250-365-7292 (Course Being Offered June 30, 2004 - Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada)
Simon Fraser University (BC, Canada) - Tele-learning Certificate Program in Geographic Information Systems
- Geography and Planning Department
- Albany School of Public Health (Rensselaer) - 1 credit course given each spring, "GIS & Public Health". For more information, http://albany.edu/~msz03/gis.html.
- The Binghamton University GIS Campus Core Facility supports the research mission of the university. It fosters the educated use of geographical information systems (GIS) and global positioning systems (GPS) technologies for the development and execution of funded basic and applied research. Contact Kevin Heard - Assistant Director
Phone 607-777-3536, email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit site at http://gis.binghamton.edu
- Graduate Geography Department
SUNY Buffalo - Geography Department
SUNY Cortland - Geography Department
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) offers GIS related courses and degree programs (B.S., M.S., M.P.S., and Ph.D.) under a number of academic areas including Environmental Resources and Forest Engineering, Forest and Natural Resources Management, Environmental Studies, Environmental and Forest Biology, and Landscape Architecture. The Council for Geospatial Modeling and Analysis coordinates and enhances many diverse and dynamic activities associated with spatial information at SUNY-ESF. ESF's Outreach Program also offers short courses on a variety of GIS topics.
SUNY College at Fredonia
The SUNY College at Fredonia offers students the opportunity to enhance their major field(s) of study with a minor in Interdisciplinary Studies in GIS. The minor consists of 24 credit hours in GIS, mathematics, statistics, computer science, and complementary courses from the social and physical sciences. For more information, contact Ann K. Deakin, Ph.D.
Fax: (716) 673-3332
SUNY College at New Paltz - Department of Geography
SUNY College at Oneonta - Geography Department
SUNY Plattsburgh - Environmental Science Program
Center for Geographic Information - Recently designated as an ESRI Authorized Learning Center, CGIS had expanded its education program to include additional courses covering both software-specific training and lecture style workshops of a variety of GIS topics. Schedule of short courses ...
Vassar College - Geology and Geography Department
West Point (United State Military Academy) - Geography and Environmental Engineering Department
Comprehensive listing ofGeography Departments
in the U.S.
Interactive Map of Geography Departments - U.S. and Canada
U.S. Geography Resources and Academic Departments
- FGDC - NSDI Training
- On-Line Tutorials, Course Materials and GIS Guides
- NSGIC/FGDC Educational and Research Program in Support of Content Standards for Digital Geospatial Metadata
- GeoCommunity - A collection of educational GIS material, College listings, and pointers to online training.
- Robert E. Kennedy Library - GIS On-line Tutorials
- Executive Awareness
- Lists of Journals
- Resources for Geographers: Journals: A list maintained by the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Trade publications
- Directions Magazine
- EOM: the Magazine for Geographic, Mapping, Earth Information
- Journal of Geographic Information and Decision Analysis (GIDA)
- Spatial News
- Coordinates (A publication of the Long Island Geographic Information Systems User Group)
- GIS SIG (A publication of the forum in the Rochester - Genesee Finger Lakes region)
- Geographic Information Systems Technology News (The newsletter of the New York State GIS Coordination Program)
- Indiana GIS Newsletters
- VGIS News (A publication of Vermont Center for Geographic Information
- Westchester County GIS Newsletter
- Geoplace - Resource for spatial matters
- GIS: The Wave of the Future for Information Analysis, NYS Bar Association Government, Law and Policy Journal, Spring 2000, Vol. 2, No. 1 -- ( html) or ( zipped pdf)
- GeoData Alliance: Lessons from Practice - A Guidebook to Organizing and Sustaining Geodata Collaboratives.
- The NYS GIS Coordination Program Briefing Paper ( html) or (zipped pdf)
- Final Report: Analysis of GIS Implementations in State and County Governments of Montana, Montana Geographic Information Council, October 1998.
- New Models of Collaboration: GIS Coordination in New York State, Center for Technology in Government, October 1998.
- GIS: Key to Competitiveness, NYS Temporary GIS Council
- ArcGIS/Manifold: Illustrating Classic GIS Tasks
- Introductions to GIS
- The GIS Primer - The GIS Primer provides an overview of issues and requirements for implementing and applying geographic information systems technology.
- USGS GIS Information Page--a good, simple explanation of what GIS is and what it can do.
- Odden's Bookmarks - The Fascinating World of Maps and Mapping.
- FGDC Content Standards for Digital Geospatial Metadata
- GIS Dictionaries
- Thesauri and Gazetteers
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names - The Getty Information Institute's Thesaurus is a structured vocabulary of almost one million geographic place names. Although developed primarily for the field of art history, it has potential for applications in any other fields that use geographic names.
- U.S. Gazetteer - Created by the U.S. Census Bureau, this gazetteer is used mainly to identify places in order to obtain TIGER maps or census data.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Metadata FAQ - an unofficial FAQ for FGDC metadata
5410 Grosvenor Lane
Bethesda, MD, 20814
5410 Grosvenor Lane
Bethesda, MD, 20814
1710 Sixteenth St. N.W.
Washington D.C., 20009-3198
Burnside Hall, McGill University
Rue Sherbrooke St. W
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2K6
206-1750 rue Courtwood Crescent
Ottawa, Ontario, K2C 2B5
14456 East Evans Avenue
Aurora, CO 80014
1460 Renaissance Drive, Suite 305
Park Ridge, IL 60068
Phone: (847) 824-6300
Fax: (847) 824-6363